The Territorial Army is a citizens army which comprises of civilians who are eager to contribute their might to the defence of the country, while pursuing their own vocation. Although it does not offer a regular career it provides an ideal opportunity to the youth of the country to receive military training in their spare time. The Territorial Army inherits all the magnificent traditions of the services. The Territorial Army's 122 Infantry battalion was initially raised as the 51 Light Armoured Regiment at Ambala in 1949. In 1956 the battalion was redesignated and initially affiliated to the Punjab Regiment. Consequent to its move to Malappuram in 1966, it was re affiliated to the Madras Regiment.
The unit saw active service during the Chinese aggression of 1962 and both the Indo-Pak wars of '65 and '71. The Battalion was embodied for services form 10 September '89 to 25 February '90 in Sri Lanka as part of the Indian Peace Keeping Force. It was a successful shoulder operation with the regular army at Kankesanthurai, Palali and Trincomalee. The contingent returned without suffering any casualties. This force was also drafted for Operation Rakshak during 1991-'92 and it moved to Kashmir valley. The Battalion was adjudged both as the Best Infantry Battalion (T.A) in the country and has won the Chief of Army Staff Silver Trophy, consecutively thrice during 1986-87, 1987-88 and 1988-89.
Defence Security Corps
The Defence Department Constabulary Centre now known as Defence Security Corps (DSC) was raised on 25th April 1947 at Mathura in Uttar Pradesh. The centre moved to Delhi on 3rd may 1947. It was formed in the form of a semi-police force with police title and badges of ranks. In 1948, military titles and badges of ranks were given to the DSC. In August 1958, the Corps was re-organised and redesignated as Defence Security Corps - DSC and brought under the control of Army Headquarters. The DSC and records moved from Delhi to Chakrata in UP in April 1959 and then to Kannur on 21st November 1961. The centre imparts training to ex-service personnel of Army, Navy, Air Force and Territorial Army and recruits them to various agencies under the Army, Navy, Air Force and Territorial Army and to the Directorate General of Ordinance Factories and Directorate General of Research and Development. The role of Defence Security Corps is to ensure the protection and security of designed Defence Installations against sabotages and pilferage. The centre is the mother depot to all platoons in the country.
KAP camp, Mangattuparamba
KAP Camp, Mangattuparamba is the headquarters of Kerala Armed Police 4 Battalion. In Kerala, there are 7 armed police battalions viz., the Malabar Special Police with headquarters at Malappuram, the Special Armed Police and KAP 3 at Thiruvananthapuram, KAP 1 and 5 at Thrissur, KAP 2 at Palakkad and KAP 4 at Mangattuparamba. At the time of its formation in 1963, the present KAP Camp was a detachment camp of the Malabar Special Police. The camp was handed over to the district Police, Kannur in 1968 for accommodating the District Armed Reserve. KAP 4 Battalion was formed in 1980 with headquarters at Aluva. In 1982, the headquarters of the Battalion was shifted from Aluva to Kozhikode. The same was further shifted to Mangattupparamba in 1983.
Kannur Cantonment Board
Kannur Cantonment Board is one of the 62 cantonments in the country and the only one in the State. Cantonments were established during the British era usually in their military areas where both civilian and military personnel resided. The Kannur Cantonment is included in the Class II category. It came into existence in 1938. This cantonment constitutes of 2698 civilian population and 2121 military population. The Board consists of 8 members. Four of them are elected from the civil population. Officer in Command is the chairman.
The Central Prison, situated at Pallikkunnu, 3 km away from Kannur town, is a cynosure of historical importance. Many leaders of National Freedom Struggle and various local peasant revolts were either brutally imprisoned or mercilessly executed here.
Medical College, Pariyaram
The long cherished dream of the people of North Malabar region of Kerala to have a Super specialty hospital and Medical College became a reality in March 1993 with establishment of the KCH & ACME at Pariyarm in Kannur District. The Kerala State Co-operative Hospital Complex and Centre for Advanced Medical Services Ltd. is a Co-operative Society registered under Kerala Co-operative Societies Act 1969 with an object to build a 1000 bedded Superspeciality Hospital to facilities Modern Medical facilities and a Medial College. The Management of Kerala State Co-operative Hospital Complex and Centre for Advanced Medical Services Ltd. formed a Charitable Trust named Academy of Medical Science (ACME) under the direct control of KCHC. The above society was registered under Societies Registration Act 1860 in November 1993 with the primary objective of running a medical College. The Institution is situated in an area of 119 acres in a hilly rural area (Pariyarm), 31 km North of Kannur town on the National Highway (NH 17). The population in this area lacks specialised medical care facilities. The nearby Medical College, Mangalore is, 125 km to the North. In the beginning Hospital and Colleges started functioning in the buildings owned by the erstwhile T.B. Sanatorium at Pariyaram.
On 9th February 1997 the state Government look over the Control of the Management of the institutions. The Government has constituted a Committee named Board of Control to run KCHC and ACME. The take over was initially for a period of 2 year ending on 8th February 1999. The period was extended periodically six months at time till Second December 2000. This act was repealed by the ordinance taking over assets and liabilities of both KCHC & ACME.
Malabar Cancer Centre
Malabar Cancer Center established at Kodiyeri near Thalssery is an autonomous centre under Government of Kerala. MCC is constituted as a Charitable Society under Department of power. This project is envisaged to develop a hospital with all modern facilities for diagnosis and management of Cancer patients, and is proposed to be constructed with financial assistance collected from various sources in Canada sponsored by M/s SNC Lavalin Inc., Canada.
As token of constant service January 2001, and the therapeutic service was started from the 1st March 2001. Apart from the diagnostic procedures, the therapeutic services include chemotherapy, surgery and palliative treatment.
The centre once fully completed, is proposed to be one of the best Cancer treatment centres in the country, catering at least half of the population Kerala, particularly in the northern district of the state, and also people of the neighboring areas of Tamil Nadu and Karnataka with major departments like Medical Oncology, Radiation, Oncology, Surgical Oncology, and Preventive Oncology. It also includes facilities of Radiotherapy using linear accelerator, facility for Bone marrow transplant, and all cancer related investigatory facilities every year with an estimated patient visit of 70,000 per year.