The famous Muthappan (Siva) temple (Parassinikadavu Madappura) is on the banks of the Valapatanam river. According to tradition, the main abode of Muthappan was Puralimala near Mattannur. The story goes that Muthappan appeared in the form of a child before one Padikutti Amma. The child had an insatiable appetite for liquor, fish and meat and became a nuisance to the family was therefore turned out from the house.
Armed with a bow and arrow Muthappan wandered from place to place and eventually reached Puralimala. At Kunnathurpadi, on his way to Puralimala, he climbed on to the top of a palmyra tree near the house of one Chandan and drank toddy.
Chandan who happened to arrive on the scene, is said to have been turned into a rock at the gaze of Muthappan. Here Muthappan completely disappeared from the scene and nothing more was heard of completely disappeared from the scene and nothing more was heard of him. It is believed that he came down to Parassinikadavu.
According to tradition, a member of the Vannan community at Parassinikadavu found a metallic arrow on the trunk of a Kangira tree and having felt something divine about the place, reported the matter to the senior member of an ancient Thiyya family in the neighbourhood. The latter, who felt the divine presence of Muthappan, immediately performed the necessary ceremonies and offered worship to him.
It is an accepted dictum here, that whatever is received by way of gifts or offerings should be spent for the benefits of the pilgrims. The daily offerings made to Muthappan are also different from what they are in other temples. It has been customary to offer toddy, fish and meat as 'nivedyams' to this deity. People of all castes and communities including members of the Muslim as well as Christian communities are known to donate sums of money as vazhipadu of Muthappam. The annual festival which falls on December 1st, provides a special occasion for pilgrims to throng the Parassinikadavu temple. The temple is situated 20 km, north of Kannur town.
The Thiruvangad temple, dedicated to Sree Rama, is an important temple. The temple is generally known as the Brass Pagoda from the copper sheeting of its roof. A part of the temple was damaged by Tipu's troops in the 18th century, but the temple itself is believed to have been saved from destruction by a miracle.
It was one of the outposts of the Thalassery fort in the eighteenth century. In its precincts were held many conferences between the officials of the East India Company and local leaders, at which political treaties and agreements were signed. The temple contains some interesting sculptures and lithic records. The annual festival of temple commences on Vishu day in Medam (April-May) and lasts for seven days.
The Trichambaram temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna. The pratishta here was performed by Sambara Maharshi and hence the temple is known as Trichambaram.
The presumption is that the temple is situated in Dwaraka. It is significant that all around the temple, the water level is high. There is an 'elinji' tree just in front of the temple which bears no fruits but only flowers. The annual festival at Trichambaram takes place during Kumbham-Meenam months (March).
The temple vazhipadus like 'payasam' and thousand breads are believed to bless the devotees with 'santhanavardhanavu'. The temple is located about 5 km south of Thaliparamba.
Mosque at Thalassery
The Juma Masjid situated near the Maidan in the heart of Thalassery town is one of the most beautiful mosques in the district. It is said to be more than a thousand years old and has been rebuilt in the Indo-Saracenic style of architecture.
Mosque at Madayi
The most interesting building at Madayi is the beautiful old mosque which was founded by Malik Ibin Dinar. A block of white marble in the mosque is believed to have been brought from Mecca by the founder himself. The grave of an Arab divine, who renovated this mosque, is also seen here.
The most important pilgrim centre in this district is Kottiyur, otherwise known as the 'Varanasi of the South'. There are two temples at Kottiyur, viz Akkara Kottiyur, lying in the deep forests. The annual festival commences with Neyyattam on the swati day in Edavam (May-June) and ends with Thirukalasattu, after 28 days.
A sword from the Muthirikavu, Tavinal village, is brought to Ikkara Kottiyur and this marks the beginning of the festival. It is believed that this sword is the one with which Daksha is believed to have been hacked to death and it is an object of daily workship of Muthirikavu. This festival is akin to the yaga performed by Daksha. The special ceremonies connected with the festival are Neyyattam and Elaneerattam, literally meaning the pouring of ghee and water of tender coconut respectively.
The Jagannatha temple, set up by Sree Narayana Guru in 1908, is another important temple. It is situated on a raised ground in the midst of paddy fields and was built by raising funds from the rich and the poor alike. The scheduled caste and tribe men were admitted to this temple in 1924. Pooja is performed here by non-Brahmins, according to ancient Hindu rites. Marriage including inter-caste marriages are conducted inside the temple. Annual festival falls in Kumbham (February - March).
St. John's Church
The St. John's church, situated beneath the walls of the Thalassery fort, was built in 1869 with the funds provided by the Master attendent, Mr.Edward Brennen. Situated on a summit near the sea, this church is one of the most beautiful Anglican churches in India. In this churchyard lies the tomb of Edward Brennen.
The Annapurneswari temple, situated at Cherukunnu near Thaliparamba, is believed to have been constructed by Parasurama. According to tradition, Annapurneswari of Kashi (Varanasi) came to Cherukunnu in a ship with three maid servants and a number of their followers. Later, the goddess proceeded to the spot where the temple is now situated.